Viewer Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: novascotiagal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have had sciatica over the years but worse this year than ever before. Mine is not caused by a disc or back issue but due to the muscle that runs deep in the behind; so I am told. The pain was excruciating. I took naproxen and Tylenol and got some relief. Occasionally I took an anti-anxiety pill as it relaxes muscles and I had spasms at times in the muscles that would almost cause me to fall. I had severe pain and a feeling that that my leg was being hit with a hammer causing sudden loss of balance. I went to see the doctor and she prescribed gabapentin 100 mg to take 3 times a day. And I could increase to 200 mg in 4 days if it didn't work. I took one and it was like a miracle. Pain stopped, I slept soundly all night and in any position; I was so tired of sleeping fitfully on my back! Now I take naproxen as well and the two seem to do the trick. The doctor felt that this might be only a short episode and I should be able to function without medication in 3 to 4 weeks. I am told this medication is dangerous with bad side effects but so far I am only a bit drowsy and hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones as it is making my life so much better.

Comment from: cookies, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have been having nerve pain in my ankle for almost 3 years now. All of a sudden, I have a sciatica pinched nerve and it triggers all the way down to my calf on my right side. It is starting at my lower right butt cheek and my back. It makes me so tired and I have serious trouble sleeping at night. I am exhausted. I use heat and ice packs. The ice slows down the pain very little. I started going to the chiropractor but it's not helping. I need advice and how to make this thing go away. I will do anything at this point and I can't take NSAID anti-inflammatory medicines.

Comment from: lindagalion, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

My husband had total knee replacement 3 months ago. Knee is well, no pain. However he has had pins and needles sensation in the bottom of his foot ever since the surgery. He was sent for an EMG and finding was damage to the sciatica nerve. He was given two blocks before surgery, one in front of leg and one in the sciatica in back of the leg. Doctor says pain in the bottom of the foot will go away in time.

Comment from: rc422, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I'm 23 years old and I was diagnosed with sciatica. The pain that I've gone through is terrible. Sleepless night after sleepless night, I can't even walk straight. I currently don't have insurance to afford a doctor. The insurance I had doesn't cover chiropractor or physical therapy. I've had it for 2 months now and I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through this. My hip feels like it's tearing apart inside. My whole right leg is always in pain.

Comment from: DrJ., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 16

During my nursing career I received Chiropractic care for chronic sciatica. Needless to say I received immediate relief after only one Chiropractic Adjustment. Resultantly I became a Doctor of Chiropractic now I can give the same relief to my patients. My order for care is: Chiropractic 1st Drugs 2nd Surgery LAST

Comment from: Anitha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My experience lasted approximately one year. During this time I was treated and medicated by my GP as well as a specialist, orthopedic neurosurgeon & various sessions physical therapy. I had reached the end of my tether in terms of pain and decided to go to a biokinestist who taught me various exercises and ways of stretching & strengthening the core, back and leg muscles. I went through these routines faithfully as well as changed my bed to a more firm one and now I am without pain. Some days I do get pain but it's manageable and I certainly will not recommend surgery until each and every avenue exhausted, especially massage.

Comment from: big italian 4 u, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

This is my third day with lower back pain, or sciatica, and it's getting worse, mainly on my left side. It's radiating down to my lower left leg. I have tried muscle relaxers, pain medication, heat, ice, and bed rest. Nothing seems to work as of yet. I am planning on going to see my doctor soon. Pain is around an “8” on the scale from one to 10.

Comment from: Hi Guys, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I am a victim of sciatica, it shows up in my lower back and right leg and the pain is not possible to describe but to people that are also having this problem. I need to drive a car and it was only possible for some 30 km and I would get this leg pain that would mean I had to stop and walk around or my wife would have to drive. There had to be an answer. I did various ways of adjusting the seat to almost sitting flat out, the police don't seem to like that. Then as my wife is a horse fanatic I thought that when a horse has a back problem they use a gel pad under the saddle to cushion and distribute the weight. So I borrowed one of these gel pads, folded it in half, put on top of that a small cushion from the cat basket, and put them towards the back part of the car driving seat and I sit on top of this. This means that the underside of your thigh is not pressurized by the driving seat. It needs a little practice but I can now drive 800 km with only one stop and that's not because of the sciatica. It works for me, I hope it works for you.

Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sciatica?