Viewer Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: DrJ., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 16

During my nursing career I received Chiropractic care for chronic sciatica. Needless to say I received immediate relief after only one Chiropractic Adjustment. Resultantly I became a Doctor of Chiropractic now I can give the same relief to my patients. My order for care is: Chiropractic 1st Drugs 2nd Surgery LAST

Comment from: Anitha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My experience lasted approximately one year. During this time I was treated and medicated by my GP as well as a specialist, orthopedic neurosurgeon & various sessions physical therapy. I had reached the end of my tether in terms of pain and decided to go to a biokinestist who taught me various exercises and ways of stretching & strengthening the core, back and leg muscles. I went through these routines faithfully as well as changed my bed to a more firm one and now I am without pain. Some days I do get pain but it's manageable and I certainly will not recommend surgery until each and every avenue exhausted, especially massage.

Comment from: big italian 4 u, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

This is my third day with lower back pain, or sciatica, and it's getting worse, mainly on my left side. It's radiating down to my lower left leg. I have tried muscle relaxers, pain medication, heat, ice, and bed rest. Nothing seems to work as of yet. I am planning on going to see my doctor soon. Pain is around an “8” on the scale from one to 10.

Comment from: Desperate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My sciatica started about 15 months ago with hip pain. I was sent off to an orthopedic surgeon who did some X-rays and told me I needed a hip replacement. A cortisone injection in the hip achieved nothing, however, so we moved onto an MRI of the lumbar spine and a bone scan. These showed a disc bulge but nothing too dramatic. A referral to a neurosurgeon was arranged. He could see nothing on the scans he could operate to fix. Meanwhile, the pain has gotten worse and worse; I am in pain when standing, walking, sitting and lying down. I am sleeping very poorly (due to pain) and finding myself dopey in the morning if I take over-the-counter drugs (e.g. Mersyndol night) to try and get a good night's sleep. I am feeling very despondent about all this and desperate for a solution. My latest referral has been to a neurologist who has sent me for an MRI of the thoracic and lumbar spine -- still no solution in sight and I am limping around like an old lady. I am only 50, not overweight -- and usually -- have an active lifestyle. I am trying to keep up with my exercise, but it is getting harder and harder to do so.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I joined a gym a couple of years to lose a little weight and tone. As time passed the muscles in my butt and back of my thighs felt like they were on the verge of cramping all the time. About a month ago I had some dental work done and was given a script for swelling. When I finished the script my muscle pain became impossible to tolerate. Getting out of bed was the worst. Standing up straight before my muscles warmed up pulled those muscles so bad. A friend of mine suggested yoga. I bought yoga for beginners DVD and did it every other night for a week. It didn't take long for me to find out how bad my posture is. So, with bad posture and lifting weights I figured I must have had a pinched nerve or something. So I took a 3 week break from the gym, started taking ibuprofen and kept doing the yoga DVD. I had to pay attention to my posture at all times, but when I had it right I could feel the pressure release in my lower back. And when I had it wrong I felt the instant pain in my muscles. I started feeling better a little more each day. At the end of the three weeks I decided to Google lower back pain to find out exactly what was wrong with me. I came across Sciatica. Every single one of my symptoms were there. From what I read the more active you are the better you will feel. I started going back to the gym and I'm pain free most of the day now. I think once I put the correct posture with strengthening the muscles that will support me I'm taking the pressure off the sciatic nerve. I'm not 100% yet, but I can stand up straight as soon as I get out of bed with no pain. Today was my 4th day of going back to the gym.

My pain started a few days after a long driving trip (4000 miles). It's the first time I've had this problem. The pain was very intense making even simple movements of my left leg very painful. It was a 10 on the 1-10 scale. Bending over was impossible. No matter how long I looked at my sock on the floor I could not pick it up. The pain would strike from my left butt cheek to my left ankle. After I'd move it would continue to ache for a period of time. I could not sit in most chairs as it was too uncomfortable. I spent four days in a chair with minimal time out of the chair. I could barely walk to get to the bathroom or to get food. After the fourth day I found that 800 mg of Ibuprofen would give me relief for about three hours. The day after that (today) the pain was much less, only about a 4 on the 10 scale and that was without any Ibuprofen. I'm looking forward to continued recovery.

Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sciatica?