Viewer Comments: Sciatica - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

Comment from: Steppenwolf, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I have sciatica pain for over 2 months now. The pain can be so excruciating that my body seems to lock up and can't move. I tried using Advil and this homeopathic drug called Sciatica Relief. I was skeptical at first but tried it anyway. I take 2 tiny pills under my tongue and within minutes the pain subsides.

Comment from: Manoj, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have pain starting from my left hip and going down my buttock and up to my left calf. I also experience numbness on my little finger of the left foot. I saw a doctor and he prescribed lower back exercises which I am doing. There has been some improvement.

Comment from: mummygreg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

Thank you so much. The symptom and treatments were spot on and this information have helped me decide on a course of action for my back and its pain rather than just putting up with it and not improving.

Comment from: kchri2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had several bouts of Sciatica over the past 20 years. It's the most painful thing I've ever endured and I have been through childbirth. I'm talking, no pain relief whether sitting, standing, laying down....The final episode came on so suddenly when lifted my foot to put on the breaks in my car and froze in position and terrible pain, made it to the side of the road and called a friend who took me to an acupuncturist, which amazingly to me subdued the pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Ice is my best friend for sciatica!

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I had a back injury at work from lifting and moving heavy boxes of orange juice and water for 8 hours a day. I bought a belt, meant for back sprains and strains and the pain was not as bad. It was just in my lower back at the time. Then 4 or 5 months later I started having severe back pain along with pain down the back of my thigh, calf and butt. I took ibuprofen, and that made me feel fine other than a sense of fatigue that I did not have before. I ran out of ibuprofen one day and I experienced pain from my back, the back of my thigh, calf, and the top of my foot. It felt like sand was flowing through the veins in my leg. I should have gone to see a chiropractor but I thought I could work through it. After telling the management that I was having back pain, I was fired from my job for taking a break that was five minutes too long. So far ibuprofen and rest have helped with the pain. Getting out of bed in the morning is painful. I'm seeing a chiropractor now, which seems to help for a few hours after. He used some high power LED-light device that was meant to improve circulation after he gave me an adjustment, and the LED thing seemed to be the reason I felt better for a short time.

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Comment from: barbarafreymerc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have been dealing with this for 3 years and it feels as if it is getting harder to deal with. Stretching appears to soothe the pain for that moment. If I had medical coverage I would have surgery. Being in pain this much definitely requires surgery, I am not old. I walk and feel as though I am 90 and I am only 50. Pain medication is the only thing that helps and I don't want to live on pain medicine.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: May 09

I'm a midwife and have been suffering from sciatica for the past two years on and off at the moment it is very painful especially when I sit for long periods especially on a soft seat or if I have a long shift on my feet at work. I am overweight and I have had enough taking painkillers so I have started exercising to lose weight and get fitter hopefully this will help.

Comment from: nathanc459, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

Well I've tried everything from injections to medications for my sciatica but nothing is working. The pain is so bad that I can't get out of bed some mornings. It's really bad after I'm sitting for awhile. The worst pain is when I stand because both my legs are numb. I have to wait until the pain dies down before I can move. I just need to know why my lower back never stops hurting 24 hours a day. I have lower back pains and I just can't bare the pain any more.

Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sciatica?