Viewer Comments: Sciatica - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

Comment from: barbarafreymerc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have been dealing with this for 3 years and it feels as if it is getting harder to deal with. Stretching appears to soothe the pain for that moment. If I had medical coverage I would have surgery. Being in pain this much definitely requires surgery, I am not old. I walk and feel as though I am 90 and I am only 50. Pain medication is the only thing that helps and I don't want to live on pain medicine.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: May 09

I'm a midwife and have been suffering from sciatica for the past two years on and off at the moment it is very painful especially when I sit for long periods especially on a soft seat or if I have a long shift on my feet at work. I am overweight and I have had enough taking painkillers so I have started exercising to lose weight and get fitter hopefully this will help.

Comment from: nathanc459, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

Well I've tried everything from injections to medications for my sciatica but nothing is working. The pain is so bad that I can't get out of bed some mornings. It's really bad after I'm sitting for awhile. The worst pain is when I stand because both my legs are numb. I have to wait until the pain dies down before I can move. I just need to know why my lower back never stops hurting 24 hours a day. I have lower back pains and I just can't bare the pain any more.

Comment from: booty_babe_fran, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I've had the pain going down my right leg from my back since New Year's Eve. The pain is terrible. I cannot sit or stand for too long. The medicine prescribed (tramodol and naproxin) keeps sending me to sleep and I am woken up by spasms in my back.

I have had sciatica for many years. When I am at home I lay flat with a gel pack from the freezer and it helps to reduce the swelling around the nerve. It also just gives relief. For me walking with good posture in mind also helps. Massaging the affected area also helps. You can do this yourself using your hand in a fist position. Massaging up and down your lower back to your bum area. I hope this might help someone as much as it does me, but everyone is different and has a different pain amount.

Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sciatica?