Viewer Comments: Sciatica - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

Comment from: PJK, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have had lower back pain on and off for many years and it seemed to always improve by keeping fit and taking part in sport. Swimming in the past has cured it 100%. However a few days ago I tried sprinting (running) and am now in absolute agony. The Chiropractor says sprinting will find any weakness in the back. I now have sciatica and with pain in the lower right hand side of my back and buttock and a loss of feeling to the skin below my knee. Yesterday I went swimming and it was the only time in 24 hours I have had pain relief. After the swim the relief continued for a few hours and I am going to go as often as possible as it helped before. It's as if the spine is stretched whilst swimming to allow the vertebrae to be pulled apart and the disc to retract back to where it should be and not irritating the nerves. I am yet to understand why this only lasts a few hours but at least it's a start as this is the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life.

Comment from: 5 lbs over, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

For 4 months I have suffered from sciatica. Yoga seemed to help but could do no other exercises and have started gaining a bit of weight. I tried many OTC medicines and a muscle relaxer-nothing helped. I started going to a chiropractor and have been 6 times. The last 4 times she has totally relieved my pain for many hours. Then a friend told me to take Advil; it had helped him. Advil worked!!!! Sufferers, you know the relief!! I took 2 at night for 3 nights, then 1 at night for 3 nights. Since then, I have taken 1 when I lifted something and 2 one night when back was irritated. Probably the combination of Yoga, chiropractor, and Advil helped - the most relief was Advil. I am continuing the Yoga, haven't been to the chiropractor in 2 weeks. I have not resumed total exercise program, but am adding exercises slowly.

Comment from: apersson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had sciatica pain for several years now. For a long time, I enjoyed good relief from steroid injections into the facet joints of three levels on my lower back. The length of relief slowly got shorter and shorter until finally, this last fall, l the steroid injections quit working. I then underwent a radiofrequency neurotomy, where radiofrequency is used to essentially kill the nerves. The nerves will eventually regenerate and the procedure will have to be redone, but it's been six months and the stabbing pain screaming down my leg is gone. The procedure is in itself excruciatingly painful, but only takes about 15 minutes for three levels.

Comment from: agony, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

I have had back pain from herniated disc for about 8 years now. The pain goes down both legs and is usually a burning or aching pain and sometimes stabbing. It is the most unbearable pain I have had to deal with up to this point in life. I have tried everything but pain meds are the only thing that works for me and I also do stretches with my feet elevated provides some relief.

Comment from: mkheleneng, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I was having severe pain in my leg which ached day and night. I went to have a MRI of my leg because I thought it was a blood clot. They diagnosed me with Sciatica. The doctor prescribed0despartimine twice a day for the pain which helped. Then 400 mg of Motrin, which helped but I worried about taking so much of it. The doctor placed me on a stretching machine and inversion board. She showed me leg exercises to do each day. I had tried all the things others have mentioned. I found rubbing alcohol helped on the hot sites. I am pretty much pain free now after about nine months of pain and no sleep. I am so grateful to be pain free.

Comment from: Lydia, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

I am a healthy cardiac nurse. I used poor body mechanics while pulling a heavy object a year ago and had a back injury. Like all back injuries I thought it would improve. An 8-hour flight to Europe unveiled severe sciatica and numbness in the lateral side of my right foot and between the toes which became worse in the next few months. An MRI showed bulging discs and other things. Now I've been off work for a month as I can hardly get out of bed or walk or put my socks on and the pain which is like a hot poker.

Comment from: Robin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I have suffered from back pain for over 20 years, and it was getting progressively worse. I asked the Dr. for an MRI, and he said I had to get x-rays, then CT scan before I could get an MRI. Each time, the results were worse. Then, the MRI showed bulged discs, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and sciatica; severe on right side, and medium to severe on left side. Finally, I knew what this horrible pain was. I joined the YMCA, started an exercise program, and plan to do Aquafit. I get a bit of relief with the activity of low level exercise, and feel better while moving. Sitting (without being propped with pillows) & standing for long periods are just excruciating for me. I can't do anything without some kind of pain medication, but I try. I also have Fibromyalgia, so that probably doesn't help. Lyrica helps, as does endocet, and heating pads with pillows. I also take Naproxen for osteoarthritis. Knowing what is causing my pain helps me to know what steps I can take to improve my lifestyle. The neurosurgeon said it wasn't bad enough to require surgery yet, thank God for that. One day at a time is all I can do, and stay as active as possible!

Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sciatica?