Viewer Comments: Scoliosis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scoliosis:

Scoliosis - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your scoliosis?

Comment from: Havanese, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had two 60-degree curves and then had a Harrington rod placed at the age of 30. Now at 69 years old, my curves are over 60 degrees with the Harrington rod in place. How it curved with the rod, I will never know. I have horrible pain also.

Comment from: blbates, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had the surgery where they put to rods in your back. I have had no problems and this was 13 years ago. I am 25 now.

Comment from: chrissie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I am now 65 and have had scoliosis since I was 13. My Scoliosis is low down and measures as 110 degrees. I am 5ft 4 inches and should have been 5' 10”. I was able to hide it for years. I have always exercised and done lots of stretches to keep my spine strong. I have noticed my spine squashing over the years but it doesn't stop me doing anything. I was offered fusion of the spine at 16 but refused. You can life with scoliosis fine. you don't need an operation just to make the body look good. I am lucky I was tall.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: September 14

My daughter has scoliosis and the X-ray shows more than 30 degree bend on the spinal cord. The doctor recommended surgery.

Parenting Know-How: We've hand-picked our best pregnancy, baby and parenting content just for you