Definition of Rate, mortality
Rate, mortality: A death rate. There are a number of different types of mortality rates as, for examples, the following:
The word "mortality" came from the Latin "mors" (death). Mortality is distinct from morbidity (illness). A condition such as tuberculosis can cause morbidity and mortality (disease and death). The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) is an important weekly publication by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (the CDC).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Is a Clinical Trial Right for You?
- The Immune System's Role in Cancer
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication