Definition of Meter, peak-flow
Meter, peak-flow: This hand-held device measures air flow (how fast air is blown out of the lungs). Patients can use peak-flow meters to measure their own air flow regularly.
The use of a peak-flow meter allows patients to obtain a much earlier indication of an oncoming attack, for example, of exercise-induced asthma, a type of asthma typically triggered by exercise.
The "peak flow" refers to the maximum flow rate of air breathed out during forced expiration.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Asthma and Allergy Resources
- What Are the Asthma Treatments for Kids?
- Worst Allergy Offenders
- How to Spot a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?