Definition of Gestation period
Gestation period: Fetal development period from the time of conception until birth. For humans, the full gestation period is normally 9 months.
The word "gestation" comes from the Latin "gestare" meaning "to carry or to bear."Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?