Definition of Alport syndrome
Alport syndrome: A hereditary condition characterized by kidney disease, deafness, and sometimes eye defects. Alport syndrome involves inflammation of the kidney (nephritis), often progressing to kidney failure, and sensory nerve hearing loss. Progression to kidney failure is gradual and usually occurs in males before 50 years of age.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Men's Health Resources
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Do Baseball Caps Cause Baldness?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication