Definition of Syphilis, tertiary
Syphilis, tertiary: The third stage of syphilis, in which the syphilis spirochetes infect the brain, heart, and other organs of the body. Dementia is a common outcome. Tertiary syphilis can develop many years after an initial untreated infection. The spirochetes can cause extensive damage in the body, sometimes leading to death.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Can You Catch a Yeast Infection?
- Sex and Conception: Does Position Matter?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?