Definition of TORCH screen
TORCH screen: A blood test that is designed to screen for a group of infectious agents known by the acronym TORCH, which stands for Toxoplasma gondii, other viruses (HIV, measles, and so on), rubella (German measles), cytomegalovirus, and herpes simplex. All these infectious agents are teratogens (agents that are capable of causing birth defects). The TORCH infectious agents are among the leading causes of neonatal morbidity and 'mortality.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?