Definition of Gastric stapling
Gastric stapling: A surgical procedure that converts the upper part of the stomach into a very small pouch by stapling portions of the stomach together, forcing an obese person to eat only tiny portions yet still feel full. It is normally done only in severe cases, and in combination with diet and exercise. A similar operation is called gastric banding.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?