Definition of Gastric stapling
Gastric stapling: A surgical procedure that converts the upper part of the stomach into a very small pouch by stapling portions of the stomach together, forcing an obese person to eat only tiny portions yet still feel full. It is normally done only in severe cases, and in combination with diet and exercise. A similar operation is called gastric banding.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu