Definition of Twin
Twin: One of two children produced in the same pregnancy. Twins can develop from one ovum (egg) or from two ova (eggs). Twins who develop from a single ovum are called monozygotic or identical twins. They have identical genomes. Twins who develop from two ova that are fertilized at the same time are called dizygotic or fraternal twins. They are nonidentical and have different genomes.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?