Definition of Tenesmus
Tenesmus: Straining to defecate or urinate. Tenesmus refers especially to ineffectual and painful straining for an extended time. Straining to defecate is called rectal tenesmus; straining to urinate is called vesical tenesmus.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?