Definition of Herbal remedy
Herbal remedy: A medication prepared from plants, including most of the world's traditional remedies for disease. Most people think of herbal remedies as products sold over the counter as "supplements", such as saw palmetto extract or goldenseal ointment. However, many over- the-counter and prescription drugs are based on ingredients originally derived from plants, including aspirin and digoxin. Lab tests have shown that some herbal remedies are indeed effective against illness. One should use these drugs as carefully as prescription medicines, taking care to avoid overdose, interactions with other medications, and misuse.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Complementary Medicine Resources
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Relaxation Techniques for Migraines
- Can Yogurt Cure a Yeast Infection?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?