Definition of Human herpesvirus 2 (HHV-2)
Human herpesvirus 2 (HHV-2): A herpes virus that causes genital herpes, characterized by sores in the area of the genitalia. Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
This virus, like human herpesvirus 1, can cause infection of the brain (encephalitis) if the immune system is severely defective or compromised. The treatment of infection with human herpesvirus 2 is by topical or oral anti-viral medication.
Human herpesvirus 2 (HHV-2) is also known as herpes simplex type 2.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- Understand Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Early Care For Your Premature Baby
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication