Definition of Hiatal
Hiatal: Pertaining to an hiatus, an opening.
An hiatal hernia occurs when a part of the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm at the opening where the esophagus normally passes through the diaphragm.
"Hiatus" in Latin means an opening.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?