Definition of Hiatal
Hiatal: Pertaining to an hiatus, an opening.
An hiatal hernia occurs when a part of the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm at the opening where the esophagus normally passes through the diaphragm.
"Hiatus" in Latin means an opening.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication