Definition of Hiatal
Hiatal: Pertaining to an hiatus, an opening.
An hiatal hernia occurs when a part of the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm at the opening where the esophagus normally passes through the diaphragm.
"Hiatus" in Latin means an opening.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu