Definition of Egg donor
Egg donor: A woman who provides her own eggs for another woman or couple to use in creating a pregnancy through in vitro fertilization. Egg donors may be paid for their services, and both known and anonymous egg donors may be used in the IVF process. For a woman to serve as an egg donor, she must undergo health screening tests and take medications to stimulate the production of eggs by her ovaries. She must also undergo a minor surgical procedure known as egg retrieval in order to harvest the eggs from her ovaries.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?