Definition of Endoscopy, upper
Endoscopy, upper: A procedure that enables the examiner (usually a gastroenterologist) to examine the esophagus, the stomach, and the first portion of small bowel (duodenum) by using a thin, flexible tube that can be looked through or seen through on a TV monitor. Also known as esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?