Definition of Ileoscopy
Ileoscopy: Use of a flexible instrument (a "scope") to examine the ileum which is the lowest part of the small intestine.
Ileoscopy is usually accomplished during colonoscopy, when the instrument tip passes first through the rectum and the lower colon and eventually reaches the area where the ileum and the colon (the large bowel) connect. The examiner can look at the ileum and take biopsy samples of the lining tissues, if needed.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication