Definition of Agenesis, sacral
Agenesis, sacral: Failure of formation of all or part of the sacrum (the lowest section of the spine).
Currarino syndrome is a condition characterized by the combination of:
The malformations in Currarino syndrome are all in tissues that have their embryological origin in the tail bud and may reflect disturbances in its formation during early embryonic life. A mutation (change) in a gene called the HLXB9 homeobox gene has been identified as responsible for autosomal dominant Currarino syndrome, also known as hereditary sacral agenesis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- Understand Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Early Care For Your Premature Baby
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication