Respiratory Problems, Age 11 and Younger (cont.)
Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your child's doctor diagnose and treat your child's condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- Did the symptoms start as a cold but now appear to be worse than you would expect from a cold?
- What home treatment have you tried? Did it help?
- What nonprescription medicines have you used? Did they help?
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines does your child take?
- Does your child seem to have any symptoms that indicate an infection in one area, such as pain in one ear?
- Has your child had any other recent illnesses?
- Has your child had his or her routine immunizations?
- Does another member of your family have similar symptoms?
- Has your child been eating, sleeping, and playing normally?
- Have you, your child, or another member of your family recently traveled, either inside or outside of the country?
- Does your child have any health risks?