Allergic Reaction to a Bite or Sting
An allergic reaction occurs when the immune system overreacts to an allergen in the venom of a stinging or biting insect. Symptoms include itching, rash, hives, joint swelling, inflammation at or around the site of the sting or bite, trouble breathing, or a severe reaction called anaphylaxis.
Treatment for insect sting allergies depends on how severe the reaction is. Mild local reactions can often be treated with cold packs and medicines for pain, swelling, and itching. An epinephrine shot can treat more serious reactions. A severe reaction (anaphylaxis) is potentially life-threatening and requires emergency care.
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
Find out what women really need.
Pill Identifier on RxList
- quick, easy,
Find a Local Pharmacy
- including 24 hour, pharmacies