Nutritional counseling is the development of a healthy diet plan that fits a person's or family's needs. A registered dietitian provides nutritional counseling services.
A healthy diet plan will consider:
- Height and weight. Growth trends over time give the most useful information.
- Current medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, or pregnancy.
- Level of physical activity or exercise.
- Appetite and food likes and dislikes.
- Lifestyle, culture, and how foods are prepared and offered.
- Locally available foods.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||John Pope, MD - Pediatrics|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Rhonda O'Brien, MS, RD, CDE - Certified Diabetes Educator|
|Last Revised||August 29, 2011|