Definition of Senescence
Senescence: Aging, the process of becoming old, or the state of being old.
As we age, we senesce. No known substance can extend life, but here are some useful tips for improving the chances of living a long time and staying healthy:
The word "senescence" derives from the Latin "senex," meaning "old." "Senile" and "senior" come from the same root, as does "senate" which dates back to ancient Rome where the "Senatus" was originally a "council of elders" composed of the heads of patrician families.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Healthy Aging Resources
- Secrets of Healthy Aging
- Exercises for Stronger Joints
- Personalized Tips for Dealing With Breast Cancer
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?