Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that have a sticky oil that can cause an itchy, red rash. The rash often shows up in lines or streaks along with blisters or large raised areas (hives). In some people, it causes serious symptoms such as swelling and widespread, large, oozing blisters.
Home treatment will often relieve mild symptoms. Prescription medicine may be needed for severe reactions.
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
- Personalized Tips for Managing Migraine
- Do You Take Good Care of Your Eyes?
- Tips for a Clean Home & Healthy Cat