Shingles usually appears in a band, a strip, or a small area on one side of the face or body. It is also called herpes zoster.
Shingles is more common in older adults and people who have weak immune systems because of stress, injury, certain medicines, or other reasons.
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
- Shingles and Other Common Skin Problems
- Is Your Skin Care Working?
- 7 Ways to Curb Your Psoriasis Flare-Ups
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu