Font Size
A
A
A

Toxic Shock Syndrome


Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare, often life-threatening illness that develops suddenly after a bacterial infection and can rapidly affect several different organ systems, including the lungs, kidneys, and liver. Because toxic shock syndrome progresses quickly, immediate medical treatment is needed.

Toxic shock syndrome can be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes (group A strep) or Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria. Symptoms of TSS usually include high fever, vomiting and diarrhea, a rash that looks like a sunburn, and signs of very low blood pressure and shock, including confusion, fainting, or dizziness.

Toxic shock syndrome can affect men, women, and children. The most familiar cases of TSS are related to tampon use, but TSS may also be a rare complication of chickenpox, flu and other respiratory infections, and wounds or injuries to the skin.

ByHealthwise Staff
Primary Medical ReviewerAnne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Specialist Medical ReviewerDennis L. Stevens, MD, PhD - Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease
Last RevisedMarch 2, 2010

eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

To learn more visit Healthwise.org

© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.





Medical Dictionary