Untreated water is drinking water that has not been chemically treated, filtered, or boiled to eliminate infectious bacteria, viruses, and parasites (such as Giardia lamblia). These organisms can cause diarrhea and illness.
Many infections that result from drinking untreated water go away by themselves after a few days, but some require treatment.
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
- Personalized Tips for Managing Migraine
- Do You Take Good Care of Your Eyes?
- Tips for a Clean Home & Healthy Cat