Definition of Aristolochia fangchi
Aristolochia fangchi: A Chinese herb that is injurious to the kidney and is also associated with an increased risk of cancer of the urinary system.
Aristolochia can cause kidney failure requiring renal dialysis or a kidney transplant. The tumors reported have included urothelial carcinoma, carcinoma of the ureter, renal pelvis, or both and papillary bladder tumor.
Aristolochic acid, the harmful ingredient in Aristolochia fangchi, is also toxic to the kidney and carcinogenic (causes cancer) in laboratory animals.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Complementary Medicine Resources
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Relaxation Techniques for Migraines
- Can Yogurt Cure a Yeast Infection?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?