Problems After Delivery of Your Baby (cont.)
It is important to make healthy lifestyle choices to lower your chance for problems after your delivery.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Limit your use of caffeine if you are breast-feeding.
- Eat a nutritious diet. Get enough protein, vitamin B12, vitamin D, and zinc. These nutrients are vital to your baby's growth, development, and weight gain. Pay attention to your nutrition, especially if you are breast-feeding. Be sure to get the right amounts of calcium.
- Try to get 30 minutes of exercise on most, if not all, days of the week.
- Do pelvic floor (Kegel) exercises to prevent urine control problems (incontinence) after childbirth.
Things to avoid if you are breast-feeding
- Smoking or using tobacco products
- Illegal drugs
- Misusing medicines
- Fish that may have mercury. This includes shark, swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish, more than 6 oz (170 g) of white albacore tuna a week, or fish caught in local waters that have not tested as safe.
- Hazardous chemicals, certain cosmetic products, or radiation
Call your doctor if you have any questions about breast-feeding. This may help prevent any problems.