Definition of LMP
LMP: Abbreviation for "last menstrual period."
By convention, pregnancies are dated in weeks starting from the first day of a woman's last menstrual period (LMP). If her menstrual periods are regular and ovulation occurs on day 14 of her cycle, conception takes place about 2 weeks after her LMP. A woman is therefore considered to be 6 weeks pregnant 2 weeks after her first missed period.
A woman's obstetric date is different from the embryologic date (the age of the embryo). The obstetric date is about 2 weeks longer than the embryologic date.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- Understand Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Early Care For Your Premature Baby
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication