Foods in a Low-Fat Diet
A low-fat diet does not mean that no fats are eaten.
A low-fat diet includes:
- Lean meats.
- No more than 5 to 6½ ounces of meat a day
- No visible fat
- Chicken or turkey without the skin
- Fish such as salmon, lake trout, tuna, and herring, which provide healthy omega-3 fat
- Fish canned in water, not oil
- Baked, broiled, or grilled meats, fowl, or fish (not fried)
- Nonfat or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese, and other milk products.
- Cheeses with less than 5 grams of fat in an ounce
- Nonfat sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, or yogurt
- No cream soups
- No cream sauces on pasta
- Low-fat ice cream, frozen yogurt, or sorbet
- Whole-grain cereals, breads, crackers, rice, and pasta.
- Herbs and spices (such as basil, tarragon, or mint), fat-free sauces, or lemon juice instead of butter.
- No more than 1 tablespoon a meal of fats and oils, such as butter, margarine, mayonnaise, and salad dressing.
- Butter substitutes, nonfat mayonnaise, or nonfat dressing.
- Applesauce, prune puree, or mashed bananas in place of the fat or oil used for baking.
A low-fat diet does not include:
- Chocolate, whole milk, processed cheese, and egg yolks.
- Regular ice cream.
- Fried or buttered foods.
- Ham, salami, and bacon.
- High-fat foods such as croissants, scones, biscuits, waffles, doughnuts, muffins, granola, and high-fat breads.
- Cinnamon rolls, cakes, pies, cookies, and other pastries.
- Prepared snack foods, such as potato chips, nut and granola bars, and mixed nuts.
- Coconuts and avocados.
Food labels show information about serving sizes and types and amounts of fat. Fast-food and convenience-food meals often have lots of fat.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Rhonda O'Brien, MS, RD, CDE - Certified Diabetes Educator|
|Last Revised||February 4, 2011|
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.