Turning-in-Place Exercise to Improve Balance
- Stand with a chair in front of you and a wall behind you. If you begin to fall, you may use them for support.
- Stand with your feet slightly apart (as you normally stand) and your arms at your side.
- Turn one half-circle (180 degrees).
- Stop for 10 seconds or, if you feel dizzy, until the dizziness goes away.
- Do this 5 times. The first time you do this exercise, turn to the right, and the second time, turn to the left. Which makes you dizzier? Then concentrate on turning the direction that makes you feel dizzier.
Do this exercise twice a day. Try to progress to being able to turn a full circle with your eyes shut.
When it is easy for you to do this exercise, try doing it away from the wall. You can also try doing the exercise on a mat or other soft surface.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Barrie J. Hurwitz, MD - Neurology|
|Last Revised||December 16, 2010|