Using a Paper Bag to Control Hyperventilation
Try these steps to control hyperventilation
- Take 6 to 12 easy, natural breaths, with a small paper bag held over your mouth and nose. Then remove the bag from your nose and mouth and take easy, natural breaths.
- Next, try belly-breathing (diaphragmatic breathing).
- Alternate these techniques until your hyperventilation stops.
If hyperventilation continues for longer than 30 minutes, call your doctor immediately.
Do not use a paper bag if:
Follow these precautions when using the bag method:
- Do not use a plastic bag.
- Do not breathe continuously into a paper bag. Take 6 to 12 natural breaths, with a paper bag held over your mouth and nose, then remove the bag from your nose and mouth.
- Do not hold the bag for the person who is hyperventilating. Allow the person to hold the bag over his or her own mouth and nose.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||David Messenger, MD|
|Last Revised||August 29, 2012|