Definition of Septic arthritis
Septic arthritis: Joint inflammation caused by infection from blood poisoning (sepsis) or from infection within the affected joint itself, or as a side effect of infection in other body tissues. Treatment includes antibiotic medications and surgical drainage. Also known as pyarthosis and suppurative arthritis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/30/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- What to Expect During Surgery
- Treating OA: Should You Give Injectables a Shot?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication