Definition of Vaginismus
Vaginismus: A sexual dysfunction in women characterized by a painful, involuntary tightening or spasm of the muscles that surround the vaginal entrance that interferes with sexual intercourse. Its cause is unknown, but it may occur in women who fear that penetration will be painful or may develop in response to a previous traumatic or painful
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
eMedicineHealth Top News
- Can You Catch a Yeast Infection?
- Sex and Conception: Does Position Matter?
- Tips to Revive Your Sex Drive
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?