Definition of Achillodynia
Achillodynia: Pain due to inflammation of the Achilles tendon or the bursa associated with it.
The Achilles tendon is one of the better known anatomic features in sports medicine due to the abrupt dramatic nature of some injuries to this tendon. It is in the back of the lower leg and connects the calf muscle (the triceps surae) with the calcaneus bone in the heel. This tendon is so named for the hero whose heel, according to Greek mythology, was the only part of his body where he could be hurt.
Inflammation in the Achilles bursa is specifically known as achillobursitis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- Understand Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Early Care For Your Premature Baby
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication