Signs of Sleep Problems in Children
Children and adolescents need adequate sleep. Lack of sleep can have negative effects on children's performance in school, during extracurricular activities, and in social relationships.
A lack of sleep may cause:
- Accidents and injuries
- Behavior problems
- Mood problems
- Memory, concentration, and learning problems
- Performance problems
- Slower reaction times
Signs of Sleep Disorders in Children
Talk to your pediatrician if your child exhibits any of the following signs of a sleep disorder:
- Breathing pauses during sleep
- Problems with sleeping through the night
- Difficulty staying awake during the day
- Unexplained decrease in daytime performance
- Unusual events during sleep
- Teeth grinding
- Restless sleep
- Difficulty waking up in the morning
WebMD Medical Reference
SOURCE:Last Editorial Review: 12/29/2011
The National Sleep Foundation.
Reviewed by Louis R. Chanin, MD on March 03, 2010
© 2010-2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.