Definition of Alternative splicing
Alternative splicing: A mechanism by which different forms of mature mRNAs (messengers RNAs) are generated from the same gene. Alternative splicing is a regulatory mechanism by which variations in the incorporation of the exons, or coding regions, into mRNA leads to the production of more than one related protein, or isoform.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- Can You Prevent a Yeast Infection?
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Tips for Dealing With Menopause Symptoms
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair