Definition of Urinary incontinence
Urinary incontinence: The unintentional loss of urine. Inability to hold urine in the bladder due to loss of voluntary control over the urinary sphincters resulting in the involuntary passage of urine.
One cause of urinary incontinence is an overactive bladder. There is a sudden involuntary contraction of the muscular wall of the bladder resulting in urinary urgency, an immediate unstoppable need to urinate.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- OAB: What Are My Treatment Options?
- Help for a Leaky Bladder
- Tips for Dealing With Menopause Symptoms
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication