Definition of Hepatocellular carcinoma
Hepatocellular carcinoma: A cancer arising from the liver cells (hepatocytes). Liver damage, manifested by cirrhosis (scarring), is a primary risk factor for liver cancer. Cirrhosis may be caused by viral hepatitis, primarily hepatitis B and C, alcohol abuse, hemochromatosis, certain autoimmune diseases of the liver, and other diseases that result in chronic inflammation of the liver. Symptoms include abdominal pain or tenderness, jaundice, enlarged abdomen, and easy bruising or bleeding.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?