Definition of Spermatogenesis
Spermatogenesis: The process of sperm formation.
The term was created from the prefix "spermato-" (Greek sperma, the seed or germ) + "genesis" (the coming into being of something) = the coming into being of sperm.
Spermatogenesis is in contrast to oogenesis, the process of egg (ovum) formation.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Men's Health Resources
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Do Baseball Caps Cause Baldness?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication