Definition of Unassisted childbirth
Unassisted childbirth: Birth of a baby without the assistance of an obstetrician, midwife, or other health professional. This may be by accident or by design. Unassisted childbirth is fraught with risks since about a fifth of apparently normal pregnancies develop unexpected complications during labor and turn into high-risk, sometimes life-threatening, situations.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair