Definition of Aerophagia
Aerophagia: Swallowing too much air, a common cause of gas in the stomach and belching. Everyone swallows small amounts of air when eating or drinking. However, rapid eating or drinking, chewing gum, smoking, or ill-fitting dentures may cause a significant increase in swallowed air.
The word "phage" in Greek means "to eat." Aerophagia is literally to eat air.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication