Definition of Compulsive shopping
Compulsive shopping: An obsession with shopping that significantly interferes with the functioning of the individual. The signs are a preoccupation with shopping; anxiety when not shopping; a constant need for a shopping "fix"; shopping to excess that results in debt and family or marital discord; and the frequent purchase of items that go unused. Although there is debate as to whether compulsive shopping is a mental disorder, there is evidence that use of an antidepressant medication tends to lessen anxiety and decrease or stop compulsive shopping.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Mental Health Resources
- Depression Treatment Tips
- Insurance Coverage for Mental Health Care
- 6 Tips for Getting an ADHD Child to Eat
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu