Definition of Amplification
Amplification: An event that produces multiple copies of a gene or of any sequence of DNA. Gene amplification plays a role in cancer. Amplification can occur in vivo (in the living individual) or in vitro (in the laboratory).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Women's Health Resources
- Can You Prevent a Yeast Infection?
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Tips for Dealing With Menopause Symptoms
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair