Definition of Gastrointestinal stromal tumor
Gastrointestinal stromal tumor: A type of tumor that usually begins in cells in the wall of the gastrointestinal tract. It can be benign or malignant. Abbreviated GIST. Malignant GISTs can occur from the esophagus to the rectum, but occur most commonly in the stomach and small intestine. Treatment for GIST includes STI571 (Gleevec), the first approved drug to directly turn off the signal of a protein known to cause a cancer.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?