Definition of Ascites
Ascites: An abnormal accumulation of fluid within the abdomen. There are many causes of ascites, including cirrhosis of the liver, cancer within the abdomen, congestive heart failure, and tuberculosis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?