Definition of Ascites
Ascites: An abnormal accumulation of fluid within the abdomen. There are many causes of ascites, including cirrhosis of the liver, cancer within the abdomen, congestive heart failure, and tuberculosis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu