Definition of Barium swallow
Barium swallow: A test that involves filling the esophagus, stomach, and small intestines with a barium solution in preparation for an X-ray, to define the anatomy of the upper digestive tract. Also known as upper gastrointestinal series.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?